Sunday, October 17, 2010

Sometimes I feel overwhelmed.

Nobody has it all figured out.

Sometimes I feel overwhelmed
by all the questions I ask myself
about life and meaning
but at least I'm not just going through the motions,
eating spoonful after spoonful
of whatever the last few generations of people
decided to mix into the goulash.

A hint of this,
a dash of that
and fifteen cups of traditions and social norms.
Ugggh!

I could say I'm tired of being fed that slop
but truthfully, it's even more tiring
to make something from scratch.

I question things like wedding rings.
Thousands of dollars spent
on something that just sits on a girl's finger.
It doesn't do anything good for the world at all.
In the Congo, $2,000 could send three kids to school,
for 12 years!
Then they would get better jobs,
be able to afford sending their own kids to school,
and generations of people would be changed.
$2,000 can change the world
but alas,
people spend it on wedding rings instead.

I question things like pets.
$41 billion dollars spent
in the United States in 2007

on food, medical care, and toys for pets.
When did we start valuing animals over people?

I question things like church buildings
that sit vacant 75% of the week.
Bouquets of flowers
that sit in vases slowly dieing.
Candy and soda
that have no nutritional value.

I question my questions sometimes.
Wedding rings and puppies make people happy.
Why can't I leave it at that?
People trade their hours for paper with numbers on it,
Who am I to decide how they spend that paper?

When looking at the imbalance of the world
with some people starving
and others eating themselves into obesity
some people buying jewelery
and others can't afford food, housing, or medical treatment,
at what point do I say something?
Do we belong to each other?
Should we feel responsible for the well-being
of anyone but ourselves?
I don't know.

I don't want to be judgmental.
I don't really care if people love luxuries
in fact I think it's wonderful that not everyone
is a replica of me.
But something isn't right.
Can anyone else see that?
Am I some crazy person,
pointing fingers and placing blame,
for some imaginary concern?

I don't have a religion to answer my questions.

1 comment:

  1. i just wanted to say, from one flawed person to another: i feel this way ALL the time.

    almost everyday i struggle with being happy with what i have and feeling guilty for what others don't. i try to calm myself with ideals about balance, but in reality... most of the time i'm looking around and ask myself "where?"

    i don't see much balance around and i personally don't believe in shouldering my burdens to some unknown figure labeled "God," who i personally just cannot concieve.

    and like you said, i don't mean to be critical of what relieves, aides, heals and completes other people. and in the same sense, it doesn't work for me. i want to be together, but different.

    i know you thought you're writing was a bit self involved and deemed others as lesser, but i thought just the opposite.
    thanks for writing.

    ReplyDelete