Tuesday, April 6, 2010

My Truth

Religion has worn me out. 
It's the same with politics. 

Too much to argue about.
Too many rules.
Too many things to divide and separate.

It's not that I have anything against religious people.
The majority of people I know 
and love most in the world are religious.
I would be hard pressed to come up with a dozen 
who aren't.

I'm just so tired of the drama. 
I'm tired of the judgments.
Tired of church walls to keep people out.
Tired of the idea that everything is all figured out 
by other people
or by books written thousands of years ago.

Truth is water!
Sometimes it's liquid
Sometimes it's solid
Sometimes it's an invisible gas or puffy white clouds.

Today my favorite truth involves 
getting to live more than one beautiful life
and a connectedness deeper than any I've ever known.
It's sort of a Buddhist/Hindu flavored truth.
Or maybe agnostic...

I'm tired of the judgements that shoot like arrows 
through my heart 
when I mention this to Christian people.

I'm tired of people inviting me to their church.

I'd rather be invited
to design a poster for a benefit for flood victims
to volunteer at an under-funded school
to sing harmony for a concert at a nursing home
to listen to someone who is lonely
to edit somebody's resume
to help organize a community garden
to pick up trash down a dirty street
to do something besides church. 

Church doesn't feel like actually doing much of anything 
besides sitting, listening, and leaving.

I'm not angry (though I used to be). 
I'm just tired. 
I have spent years of my life expending massive quantities of 
energy into religion.

And I'm done.

I feel like my efforts can have a more positive effect elsewhere.

I will continue to pour my life energy 
into relationships (many with religious people)
into organizations that aren't so exclusive
into anything I can possibly think of to positively impact others.

This is me today.
Not who I'm going to be.
Not who I used to be.
Just present day Allie
trying to be as real about her truth as she can possibly be.

3 comments:

  1. Ahh, a do'er, that's what you are, and I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Allie, Wow, great poem. I haven't been reading you in a while and just wanted to see how you've been doing. We all have our paths we have to follow in order to be genuine, and true to ourselves. It's not often easy, but you make it look good, girl.
    Linda McGeary

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a very religious person once said,..........
    "AMEN"

    ReplyDelete