Thursday, April 15, 2010

A beautiful day

I arrived back in the apartment at 7:30am after working all night. Usually I go straight to bed and stay asleep until 2 or 3pm but since I had only seen Zach for one hour the day before, I decided to wake him up and take him to breakfast. We snuggled into a couch at Spot Coffee with our breakfast burritos to watch three episodes of "V" on Hulu. We no longer have internet at our apartment so web time is severely limited. This also limits show-watching because we usually do that online since we don't have a tv either. But hey, we saved $120 by shutting it off three months before we move so it's well worth it.

After Spot, we ran errands, saw a matinee, and then oogled the flowers and seeds at Home Depot. I had been lamenting earlier in the day that the art show we had had been planning wasn't going to happen. We don't have enough artwork to do the whole thing ourselves and didn't get a call for work in the paper in time. We also can't afford to print and frame all the portraits from the photo shoots Zach has done. I always feel like such a failure when I have a great idea but don't get organized enough to make it happen. The other dream I've had, since living in Buffalo, is to create a community garden behind our apartment building in the empty lot. So, instead of dwelling on self-deprecation, we bought garden gloves and threw ourselves into clean-up mode. 

That empty lot is a giant pile of brambles and garbage. We hauled all the rest of our garbage bags (which were filled with junk from the lot), two discarded Christmas trees, a few tires, a futon mattress, and mountains of weeds, vines, and dead sticks to the dumpster in the next parking lot. We spent about three hours and just barely put a dent in it but I feel pretty positive about the potential. Several people who live in our building and the one next to it walked by and said they would love to help sometime. We decided to make it a community project and make flyers to advertise what we're doing and when. 

At about nine o'clock I laid down on our couch, with wet hair from my recent shower and scratches all over my arms and legs, and fell asleep for the night. Zach woke me up around midnight and moved me to our bed. All-in-all, it was well worth the sleep deprivation to spend a beautiful day with my best friend. The only nasty after effect from my 30 hour day is the caffeine headache I have today from the five caffeinated drinks I consumed yesterday to keep my eyelids open so long.

No comments:

Post a Comment