Thursday, March 18, 2010

me in MI

The name of the man interviewing me was Andrew and I karate chopped him in the neck with full force. Don’t mistakenly assume this is some folly that occurred years ago, of which I have had appropriate time to recover; this highly embarrassing moment just happened a few hours ago.

But first: let’s rewind. In January, I began preparing me for a job fair called OPE (Oshkosh Placement Exchange). Universities come from 39 different states to interview candidates for open positions in Residence Life. Zach and I thoroughly filtered through the almost 250 job postings and came up with a list of top jobs and universities. I sent cover letters, resumes, lists of references (all rivitingly exciting things of course), and requested interviews for during the job fair. I landed interviews with all of our top pick schools. Yahoo!

The job fair occurred a few weeks ago, during the last weekend in February, and I ended up having seventeen interviews in two days. Talk about exhaustion! I loved meeting all the people there in Oshkosh and experiencing the energy and passion everyone seems to have for Residence Life. Also, the way that I felt about each university changed dramatically as well. Some schools that I had felt super excited about before, didn’t end up being that cool. Some others that I thought were just filler interviews turned out to be at the top of my list of favorite schools. The people I met made such a difference.

After those million interviews (and by that of course I mean seventeen), I went home and continued working my two jobs. I did this until I got two calls from universities wanting to fly me to their campuses for full day interviewing with about 30 different on-campus staff and some students.

To finish the story, I’m currently in Marquette, Michigan and I’ve just finished a full day interview at Northern Michigan University. From what I can tell it is a fantastic place with great programs and a huge focus on community. Also, it’s surrounded by 95% wilderness and has sweet things like kayaking, cross country skiing, snowshoeing, mountain biking, trails for roller blading, an Olympic sized ice skating rink, racquetball courts, indoor rock climbing gym, etc, etc, etc! I really can’t say enough wonderful things about Northern.

 Everything went well except of course the part I mentioned earlier, where I chopped one of my interviewers in the neck while he was driving because I spotted a gigantic spider running across his collar. Well, and also the part where they took me to breakfast and I mis-heard the diner’s name “Coach Light” as “Roach Leg”. Which also left me slightly embarrassed but in a very funny sort of way.

All in all, if I were to guess I would say they will offer me the job but then, who knows? I do know I am the last one of three they flew here. I’m sure they wouldn’t offer to pay for the plane ticket and hotel costs of someone unless it was for a person highly qualified and with an awesome personality so my competition is tough.

Well, that’s pretty much where I’m at and as the waiting game begins, I’ll make sure and keep posting. Oh, and I have my other on-campus interview with Truman State University next week. Part of me wants to squeal with excitement and the other part says calmy, “Que sera, sera.” (What will be, will be.) I want to choose peaceful waiting instead of the anxious kind but I don’t know yet what part of me will win.

1 comment:

  1. You are so funny! If you ever see a gigantic spider on my neck I would prefer you do the fastest smack and flick you've ever done in you life, then if that hasn't been successful in stopping it I want you to scream it dead. Spider ears are tiny but a source of instant death...little known fact.

    It took me forever to sign in, not remembering my account name let alone the password but now that it is accomplished let me say this:I totally love reading about what you write. I was so happy to see your comments of love and acceptance for your dad and his love for Rush & Sarah.
    Allie, I am very proud of you. I think you're awesome and it's not cause I cut your hair in 4th grade and suggested you hang ornaments on your head gear but because of how you jump up and down silently screaming while listening to your phone-caller and because of all of the things you just wrote about. I'm so glad I know you. I love you. You've done an awesome job growing up and making choices. i wish you all the very best in your new job and forgiveness from all the people in your future with whom you might karate chop next (I'll give Bob a head's up on that one). Keep writing! Keep writing! Now that I know my sign in name and password I can respond. Okay, maybe this will be enough but, I do enjoy your thoughts. You've got a great mind and Truman is going to be all the better for it!

    ReplyDelete