Tuesday, March 16, 2010

I'm a workin' girl

I had thought nights only getting 3 hours of sleep were over when I graduated from university last May but, tragically, I thought wrong. I suppose with two full-time jobs, a person can’t expect to get that much sleep.

Honestly, it feels good to work. The angst I experienced last fall (with way too much time and not enough meaningful, challenging, engaging, or exciting things to fill up my days with) has vanished. I recognize the difference in the quality of my life: when I have short and long term goals and when I don’t.  It’s amazing how much happier I feel working with intention and destination in mind; much like the difference between riding 30 miles on the open road or the same distance on a stationary bike. There’s just something exhilarating about physically moving closer to a place I want to be.

I just recently noticed when I make conversation with the guests whom I drive to the airport in the shuttle bus, I like to tell them very specific things about myself. I usually make it clear that I’m working my jobs temporarily, that I have other plans for the fall like working as a hall director, that I’ve been to a job fair, I want to go to grad school for Spanish, and eventually become a Spanish professor. As if I couldn’t stand the thought that they might think I’m pedaling this hard on a stationary bike not going anywhere.

I felt embarrassed when I realized this. I felt like a snooty, fancy pants who doesn’t think the jobs of a waitress or a hotel receptionist are…dare I say, good enough for me? Who do I think I am?!?!!

Upon examination, I have realized the truth: I have different plans for my life.

My life isn’t about trading my energy, talents, time, and resources for money. I could care less about the money. I want to use myself to produce some serious good in this world. I want to do something I feel passionate about and that will positively impact others.

Neither of the jobs I hold now fit the criteria so I know I’m not there yet but I feel like I will be soon. Now that I’ve hopped on my Extreme Mountain Bike 720X, I’m happily enjoying the passing scenery as I wipe the sweat out of my eyes. It feels so good to be going somewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment