Thursday, February 4, 2010

giving and receiving

Sometimes I think I must have done something really good in a former life. Every single time I become disheartened with the state of the world and how many people make un-loving choices, some amazing act of love, generosity, or goodness catches my attention.

I stand in equal amounts of awe and gratitude for the people in my life. A woman I took only one class from my freshman year of college, burst spontaneously into tears when I saw her a last spring because of how much she loved me. A man gave me money for snow boots to survive the Buffalo winter because I couldn’t afford any myself. An entire cafeteria full of people started screaming like a flock of turkeys when I told them I had eloped last October. What did I do to deserve people who get so excited about my life?

The truth is I try really hard to love people. Words are empty without action and love is just a word until you embody it. I am my best self when I live like Love is my identity.

This week, love whispered in my ear and I nearly fell over in surprise! My heart is set on finding a job in Residence Life for this fall. I signed up for a job fair in Wisconsin but could only afford the registration fee, not the cost of plane tickets there and back, a hotel room for the weekend, or the professional apparel I need for it. I was planning on scrimping every penny from my newly acquired job to get me there until a few days ago, my college girlfriend asked me to let her pay for my plane tickets! Who does that?!?! I didn’t even tell her about it. Zach mentioned it and then she called me.

The next amazement came today when I found out another old friend from college is attending the same job fair and her Dad used his hotel points from his work to get us a free room! It feels like all the world is conspiring for my happiness and success!

Since being in Buffalo, I’ve attempted to become a long distance lover and stay close with many people, despite geographical differences. I can see that many people are doing the same and I couldn’t be more grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment