Friday, January 22, 2010

new gay friends

Zach has joined the Buffalo Gay Men’s Chorus and it’s the best thing that’s happened in months! Well… except for Christmas with my family, my amazing all nighter 25th birthday bash with my two highschooler siblings and our friend Myles flying in last week to surprise visit us. Seriously though, the combination of Zach and all the lovely gay men in the chorus is glorious!

Last night, the chorus sang during a large public awareness event. There has been a disturbing rise in hate crimes here in Buffalo during the last few months, so people decided to do something about it. One of the crimes just since January 1st involved a man getting stabbed to death and the word “FAG” written on his shirt. Another  included a young woman getting jumped outside a lesbian bar and stabbed in the eye and other places. The father of this particular woman was at the event and I couldn’t help but cry when he spoke.

I’ve never really been involved in an active LGBT (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender) community before so it’s nice to live here and get involved. It’s sad that “different” people get persecuted. “Different” used to be women and black people and they had to go through hell to gain the right to be treated equally. Now it’s people who don’t fit the traditional sexual preferences of our society. This reminds me of a quote by Dr. Seuss. “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It’s not.”

On the brighter side, several of Zach’s new gay friends invited us out after the event. I was definitely the only woman (besides some gorgeous drag queens) in a gay bar full of beautiful men. I’m always surprised at how warm, endearing, and hilarious they are. What’s not to love about a boisterous group of affectionate people?

My favorite part of the evening was how the guys were falling all over Zach. I can’t explain why it pleased me so much. I remember before Zach and I were dating, a few of my girlfriends were guy-talking and one said, “What about Zach Velkinburg? He has to seriously be the sexiest man on earth!” It made some Christmas-morning like excitement build up suddenly inside me and I wanted to squeal, “I know! Isn’t he wonderful?!!!?!!!” That’s exactly how I felt all evening.

By the end of the night, my cheeks hurt from laughing and smiling so much

but

I definitely

didn’t

complain.

No comments:

Post a Comment