Monday, January 25, 2010

ice cream diet

For personal reasons of self-discipline and self-control (aka torture) or maybe to add structure and purpose to my sometimes dismal unemployed existence; I’ve decided to train for a marathon. So, for the next six months, I’ll be adding some serious mileage to this body of mine.

I embarked on a similar journey my sophomore year of college, consistently trained for five weeks, and then contracted mono and strep throat in the same week! Needless to say, a small wrench was thrown into my plans. Unfortunately, I didn’t even get to contract mono the fun way: it was from an accidental sharing of chapstick or water bottle. I know this because my roommate at the time (who happened to be my cousin) got it first and sadly, I’ve never been on kissing terms with any of my cousins. Also, as a side note, because of this case of mono, my second ever boyfriend wouldn’t kiss me for the last six months of our nine-month relationship. No wonder it didn’t last. Not that I’m not bitter or anything…

Okay, okay, back to the marathon training. I’ve been a vegetarian for about 2 years and a few weeks ago I decided to modify my diet even further to help me reach my 26.2 mile goal in June. Actually, this part is Zach’s fault. He gleaned a modified version of this diet from my health-nut aunt from Arizona over Christmas. Basically, we’ve been trying to eat about 80% fresh vegetables and protein (in the form of egg whites), with a few pieces of bread every now and then.

Everything is going fine except I can’t stop thinking about ice cream! I desire it more on a daily basis than I desire anything else (which maybe doesn’t say much about my sex life). ANYWAY…despite all my best efforts to eat right and exercise, let’s just say, Zach, Ben, and Jerry are the three people I hang out with most. 

1 comment:

  1. haha great Al! I started my marathon run/jog class this week! i will be running a half marathon in april ish and if i dont get out of shape then i will be continuing on to a full one....i have not however given up the ice cream :)

    ReplyDelete