Wednesday, June 17, 2009

I'm in Ukraine!

Frequency of bowel movements has now officially been moved to the “Things Allie Should Keep To Herself” list. As soon as the words were out of my mouth, I knew I’d made a mistake. Today, on our walk back from the Kiev train, Maria’s face registered shock and embarrassment when I mentioned the reason for my purchase of prunes at the market the day before. Sometimes I forget what things are publically appropriate to talk about. Fortunately, I haven’t made any other major blunders…yet.

Zoe and I swooped in six days ago and officially won the hearts of all five children and their corresponding mothers, fathers, aunts and grandmothers who live in the house we are staying in. It’s amazing what a few thousand games of spoons and “volleyball” can do to found a friendship. I’m not much of a gamer, to be honest, but when you don’t speak the same language, non-verbal activities trump conversation every time.

Russian and Ukrainian, both of which are spoken here as interchangeably as Spanish and Catalan are in Barcelona, have rolled my tongue into a crepe and eaten it for breakfast at least a few times daily since I’ve been here. I’ve discovered that I’m much better at language than I ever dreamed but it still seems a daunting task to tackle these Slovak languages. I have a Russian language program on my ipod so I’ve been studying whenever I can convince Christi (a very tenacious Ukrainian ten-year-old) to let me use it.

Sitting behind the house today at a little blue table with Christi and Sophie (both ten) teaching them English, I had a brilliant idea! I took their workbooks, changed the names in a certain dialog and then threw them into clothes from mine and Zoe’s suitcases. The girls practiced their little play for a bit and then performed for their siblings and Maria. Can you picture it? Two blond haired little Ukrainian girls, decked out in baggy sweatshirts and shades, walking up to each other and saying, “Hay-low! Vat ees yoo-er nem? Mine ees Zoy-ah.” I adore the way they speak! Just for the record: I am “Ellie” here and Zoe is “Zoya”.

Well, that’s all for now. Oh except to mention that the prunes worked.

7 comments:

  1. That Prune Story is hilarious!
    I can't wait to hear more stories of embarrassing and hilarious moments

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha HA! Found ya! On our global friend Google--and there you were, with your bloggin' face on....You somehow look Ukrainian yourself! I love your story about the kids! How many people live in that house now? And what kind of food are you eating? And whatcha doin'?? I still can't really figure it out. But I'll stay tuned...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, forget all my questions--I read Zoe's blog and she answered everything. BUT, I was astounded to find out that Kiev is 130 km from the infamous Chernobyl!! You were only 1 year old when the world's worst nuclear disaster happened there and spread radiation all over Europe (and the world). It's just north of you! Try not to come back with 6 fingers, ok? Ask Maria about it and see what she says! It happened in '86.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How ya doin' on money? Can you access your ATM there?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Love! I have totally enjoyed reading about your escapades. How are you? I died a million twisted, hysterical laughs when Aunt Laura told me what you were located near. Needless to say I have increased my prayers for you, Zoe and the residents there. I love you sweet Ellie!
    PS I'm heading to 3 weeks of camp tomorrow so I will be off the grid again. Much love to you and may your joy be off the charts as well as your health. Oh, I do love you and reading about your thoughts and escapades. Btw: I submitted my passport application yesterday :) One small step for mankind, one giant step for Jody!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, Jody! I tried to call you a while back and it seems I have the wrong number, or I heard you wrong or wrote it down wrong... anyway, I'm numberless.
    Allie if you read back post comments, I hope you find this and can pass it along to you Mom, or point her in this direction.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aunt Laura! Yes, we are very close to Chernobyl! I have been trying to ward off the defective sixth finger causing cells but it's a bit difficult when I don't really know where they would be hiding? In the water? Fruit? Processed foods? I'm hoping it's meat because then I'd be safe.
    Maria told me that she remembers when it happened. Nobody was told anything, the government made it a big secret so the general public didn't really know anything was wrong except that lots and lots of people got sick. She had a headache for several months and developed these white spots different places on her body (they look like spilled milk) which she still has today.
    Many people of course got cancer and died. She was living in Odessa at the time, that's where we are now, which is in southern Ukraine, on the Black Sea. It is pretty crazy that we were so close when we were staying in Kiev!

    Mom: Woot woot about the passport thing! Now you can come visit me in all the different countries I will live in someday! I know camps are filling your soul with goodness so, keep loving your summer! Oh and ps, Linda is trying to get ahold of you :) Ha.
    LOVE YOU!

    Linda, email me at apetriedish@gmail.com and I'll give you my mom's number. She'll have her cell with her all summer.

    ReplyDelete