Friday, November 5, 2010

I am a woman.

Today I am flat-out fed-up with women.
I usually like to paint myself in colors of:
fair
understanding
impartial
tolerant
open-minded
forgiving
receptive
nondiscriminatory
but today I am not those things.

Today I am sexist.

How many roommate conflicts have I (or my student staff)
had to resolve since September?
About twenty-five.
How many of those conflicts were between men?
Zero.

Sure the guys sometimes pee in the elevators.
Or put on their rollerblades and play hockey in the hallways.
But I would take those things any day
over the mountain of women
clawing at each others hearts
shredding each others self esteem
ripping up each others door decorations
bashing each other on facebook
screaming in each others faces
and talking behind each others backs.

I know I'm being unfair.
Out of the 200 women who live in this building,
the 25 loudest voices fill my ears
the 25 most angry emails fill my inbox
the 25 worst insults are repeated
by sobbing women
who fill my office chairs.

I am a woman
and my heart breaks for us.

At least once a month we act like crazy people
and get angry or cry for almost no reason at all.
We feel hurt by things that were never meant to be hurtful.
Emotions move underneath us like the ocean,
we rise and fall helplessly.

Today my well went dry.
I lowered the bucket
and it came back empty.
I used my last few drops of compassion
but I needed more.

I became angry
and wrote angry things
about angry women!

My words dissipated my anger
and the spaces in between formed compassion
that rained down
and filled my well.

I am a woman
who allows herself to feel anything
but always hopes to arrive back
at compassion
love
understanding
and open-mindedness.

No comments:

Post a Comment