Wednesday, July 14, 2010

First few days in Kirksville

Hardly fifteen days and Kirksville already feels like home. Hours and whole days rush by like drops in an ever flowing river. I am here. The present moment has grown larger than life. It fills the landscape from the far reaches of my peripheral vision on both sides.

This place is thick with Amish friendship bread and sunny bike-riding days. The people I work with smile easy and listen well. Every day feels like a warm hug. The wind blows softball games and Saturday markets into my life and likes to whisper, "This is it!", while I smile.

On the fourth of July, Zach and I bought a bunch of seeds, pots, soil, and fertilizer. He planted lavender, spearmint, lettuce, spinach, and cilantro. I planted sunflowers. Our sun-filled patio plays perfect host to the army of fledgling sprouts that have burst up from the soil. My sunflowers tower three inches above all the others. Today I had to transplant them to bigger pots because they were blocking the sun to all of Zach's plants! Even though long-term we plan to live in Central America and live a fairly non-traditional life, Zach and I (for the present moment) have willingly succumbed to domestic happiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment