Tuesday, August 4, 2009

home again

It’s six am and I’ve been awake for two hours already…

A 3:50am I woke-up, lay in bed and listened to the voicemails that have accumulated while I’ve been gone all summer.

Some were old messages that I had saved because they bring me joy:

two raps from friends on Christmas day,

one from my mom that doesn’t have any words-- just hysterical laughter (which I think was response to a funny message I had left her…),

one from my boyfriend sounding like a giggly school girl and telling me he loves me,

one from my step mom asking if I’m pregnant and then laughing for a long time at her own joke,

and two from my six year-old sister Faith saying, “Hi Allie. I just called to say hi so…Hi Allie.”

 

At 4:30am my brother made me blueberry pancakes since I hadn’t eaten in twelve hours. He works the night shift and didn’t have to work tonight but stayed up anyways to try and keep a normal schedule.

At 5:45am Evan went to bed and I’ve been sitting alone in the dark by the window, listening to the thunderstorm outside and thinking about my summer.

 

So here I am.

I’m home.

Not because I’m in the United States again but because I’ve returned to a place where many hearts love me.

I was at home in Ukraine,

I was at home in Spain last March,

and maybe, wherever you are,

I have a home there too.  

2 comments:

  1. What! You're home again? Oh man! Now that I got the blog reading thing going on, and you're back? Dang!

    I was comforted to see your description of me and my saved message to you as being "hysterical laughter" vs. maniacal or embittered sobbing or, well, it could have been so much more.

    When I was there at Evan's last week I ate 15 of the blueberries that were with the ones used for your pancake pleasure this morning. After confessing to Bo what I had done he straight-facedly said I better have left enough berries for the planned usage of pancakes. Then he left the next morning for Oregon and I don't think he even got to utilize them himself.

    Life definitely has a plethora of beautiful moments in it. You have done such a great job of describing so many that are different from mine, thank you.
    I am in one of those moments and am enjoying it immensely. Actually, I am thankful for this season in my life. It has some tough spots like not being around you guys as much as I'd like but the sweetness of the times when I am fill in all the pockmarks.

    I look forward to hearing so much more of your experiences and thoughts. Please keep this concept continued.

    Love,
    the mother who laughs when someone is hurt,
    who visualizes more than I'd like to,
    who loves hearing your thoughts,
    who ran over our beloved farm dog, Sam,
    and who loves you since I found out you were!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will miss you my beautiful friend
    You left our homes, but not our hearts.

    ReplyDelete